Ask anyone who commenced planer projects with helical carbide tips; they will say that the difference is night and day compared to regular tips! These tips slices through wood like a hot knife going through a slab of butter. For that reason, they are a go-to option for many.
Now, when it comes to setting a planer with these tips, things get a bit challenging. Also, if you do not know how to set a planer with helical carbide tips, you will just waste your resources. And these tips do not come cheap!
But the good news is that you just stumbled upon the right source to know all about the process. We have gone through multiple projects with these carbide tips and now know the easiest way to work with them, which is exactly what we will go through in this in-depth guide.
Before commencing the setup, turn off the power and unhook the power cable for safety measures. Now, shall we walk you through the process and make it as simple as possible?
First, all you have to do is install the equipment on a level, durable and solid platform that can sustain its weight and that of the workpiece. Don’t forget to steer clear of the surface’s edge.
Add an adjustment handle by using a Hex Key and Cap Screw to secure it on top of the machine. Afterward, you can easily adjust the height to your preference.
You will need a few button head screws if you’re not keen on working around dust. As it happens, with the four essentials, you can effortlessly install the dust bag.
Cutter Head Assembly
Rotating the carbide cutter on my machine is one of the many problems I face regularly, and I have an easy fix for you. You can adjust the cut-depth by turning the adjustment handle, which raises or lowers the helical carbide cutter head.
A standard planner isn’t meant for any other material except solid wood if we talk about a typical planner. We will guide you through a step-by-step process.
- While the planner is not running, place your wooden piece on top of the infeed table. Make sure you position the flat surface downwards.
- Keep in mind that you must ensure – the required pre-set thickness of the workpiece is fixed to that of the depth stop.
- Once you position your workpiece according to the cutter head, you need to make a simple adjustment. You will notice a handle that will help you displace the cutter head for an ideal depth cut.
- And to start the planner, first, you have to put in the safety key. Subsequently, the board should be re-positioned on its infeed table with its planing surface directed upward.
- Assemble your piece of wood by aligning its edges in the path of grain as you feed it into your planer.
- Afterward, gradually advance your wooden project until the infeed roller secures it to the work surface.
- Proceed behind the unit and get the planed wood from the outfeed table after moving past the roller and halted movement.
See More : Best Helical Planer in 2022 | Top 10 Picks
Because of its superior performance, carbide helical cutter heads for thickness planers are the most popular choice for woodworking enthusiasts. By now, you may have already found your answer to how to set a planer with helical carbide tips. We hope this article brought some fruition to you.